Steamed layer cake
– 200g (7 oz) tapioca starch
– 50g (1.76 oz) rice flour
– 1 tsp pandan extract (or 5 fresh pandan leaves)
– 100g (3.5 oz) peeled mung bean
– 300 ml water
– 400ml (14 fl. oz) coconut milk
– 250g (8.8 oz) sugar
– pinch of salt
-Wash mung beans and soak in water for at least 1 hour (or overnight). Cook in a rice cooker. The water level should be as high as the beans. Alternatively, you can steam the beans until soft.
– In a sauce pan over low heat, dissolve sugar and salt in coconut milk and water. Let cool to room temperature.
– Mix tapioca starch, rice flour and the coconut mixture until well-diluted.
– Take out 350ml ( 1 + 1/2 cup) of the above batter and blend with the cooked mung beans in a blender until smooth. We have yellow batter.
– Add pandan extract to the rest of the batter. We get green batter.
– Grease the pan with vegetable oil. Steam 2 laddles of the green batter for a few minutes until slightly set. Then add 2 laddles of the yellow batter. Continue until finish all the batter.
– After the last layer, steam the whole cake for another 15 mins. When you poke the center of the cake with a chopstick and see no batter spilling out, it is done.
– Let cool completely and cut into pieces with a greased knife.
– You can keep the cake in the refridgerator up to 2-3 days. Microwave for 30-45 seconds when serve on the next day. Then let it cool and it is good to eat again.