How to make Vietnamese Caramelized Fish
Ingredients– 4 catfish steaks 600g (or any other kind)
– 1 tbsp minced garlic
– 3 tbsp sugar
– 4 tbsp fish sauce
– 2 tbsp vegetable oil
– 1/2 tsp pepper
– chopped spring onion to garnish
– ginger, hot pepper (optional)
– Cut fish into 1.5 inch thick steaks. Clean well and pat dry. Place nicely in a sauce pan or better a claypot.
– In a pan on medium heat, add 2 tbsp oil and 2tbsp sugar. Gently shake the pan, do not stir. When the sugar is melted and turns caramel, add 1 tbsp minced garlic and 1 tbsp minced shallot and fry until fragrant. Quickly pour onto the fish.
– In a bowl dissolve 4 tbsp fish sauce with 1-2 tbsp sugar, then pour onto the fish. Also add 1/2 tsp pepper.
– Marinade for at least 30 minutes (or better 1-2 hours if you have time)
– Over high heat, bring the marinaded fish to boil. If the fish produce too little liquid, you can add 1/2 cup coconut juice or hot water. Occasionally swirl the sauce pan to coat the fish evenly with the caramel sauce. Add ginger strips and hot pepper if you like spicy, then turn the heat to low and cook for 20 mins.
– Then gently turn the fish over and continue to simmer on low heat for another 20-30 minutes until the sauce thickens, the fish becomes firm and has nice caramel color.
– Garnish with chopped spring onion and black pepper.
– Served with hot steamed rice.